Today we honor this beautiful country many of us have the pleasures of living in. For my friends around the world, July 4th is the day we celebrate the United States birthday and if you are an avid follower of BlissfulVida you know how much I love birthdays! So one of this magnitude simply blows my socks off- well really my flip flops because I am getting ready to head to a BBQ!!
I have decided to share some of our menu for today in hopes you may equally enjoy, no matter what nationality you are or where you live.
Sensational BBQ Skewers:
Picture doesn’t do it justice!
What You’ll Need
• 2 onions
• 3 bell peppers
• 2 1/2 pounds steak, 1 inch thick (Can alternate with chicken chunks, shrimp, or even Mahi Mahi)
• Skewers (if using wood skewers, soak in water) – Very important, you don’t want the fireworks starting early lol!
• Adobo seasoning by Goya (any ‘Sazon’ will do, but this is my favorite)
• EVOO- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Ground pepper
• Grape tomatoes
• Worcestershire Sauce (for chicken or beef)
• Old Bay seasoning (for shrimp or Mahi)
Let the Fun Begin:
1. Cut onions and peppers into 1-inch pieces and put them in a bowl (if using tomatoes, include those in the mix). Generously douse vegetables with EVOO, Adobo and ground pepper. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Cut steak into 1-inch cubes.- I usually buy the beef chunks pre-cut. If using chicken, shrimp or Mahi follow the same steps. Once desired meat is ready for seasoning, once again generously douse with EVOO, Adobo and pepper. Depending on the protein you are using you may want to add Worcestershire Sauce for chicken or meat or Old Bay seasoning for fish or shrimp. Once again allow to marinate (the longer, the better)
3. Place protein, onions and peppers on skewer, alternating varieties. If you would like to include the tomatoes and pineapple, continuing to alternate. Because fish and shrimp cook much quicker and chicken needs to be cooked completely, do not mix proteins.
4. Grill on the BBQ.
• Fish and shrimp will cook much quicker
• Beef cooking time will vary depending on the personal temperature desired.
• Chicken MUST be completely cooked (no pink on the inside)
On the Drink Menu:
Because I am not a mixologist, I try and find recipes on the web that are delicious and are the perfect fit for my meal.
So today we are serving:
Frozen Mango Rum Cocktail courtesy of Yummly Recipes
What You’ll Need:
• 2 cups of white rum
• ½ cup of coconut rum
• ½ cup of fresh lime juice
• 3 cups of fresh mango
• 1 tablespoon of sugar, depending on the sweetness of the mango
• 2 cups of ice
Let the Fun Begin:
1. Blend all of the ingredients except the ice in a blender until the mango is pureed.
2. Gradually add the ice and continue to blend the drink until the ice is crushed and all of the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
3. Pour into glass and Enjoy
*Optional: If desired, pour the blended drink to a container and freeze for one hour.
Also on the Menu:
*A little bit of magic from all around the world
On a serious note: Have a blast but be safe!
Nicki G. The Blissful Wife