Photo courtesy of Donna Irene Photography
Mama Kat once again inspired me to think outside the box…You see, she asked me (and countless other followers-but I like to think she was talking to me ) what are the six best things about being an adult.
At first, perhaps like you, I laughed and thought there is nothing better than being a kid because they have no bills or worries-especially during summer vacation. However, that thought quickly was replaced with a sense of peace and satisfaction because honestly, being an adult is pretty damn cool. Sure there are stresses, health concerns and fluctuating bank statements but the fact is- WE’VE MADE IT.
After losing one of my most dearest students- Sofi, who fought and overcame cancer, later to pass due to a heart condition at age 13, I have never believed this statement more. You see, Sofia passed away this past April and two weeks later BlissfulVida was born. I realized that this Vida is worth living to the fullest and my little Sofi taught me that. She was essentially the biggest driving force behind this blog and the reason I recognize what a blessing it is to be an adult, because quite frankly, not everyone gets there.
The Top 6 Reasons Being an Adult Rocks
- You’re comfortable in your own skin: That’s right…you aren’t awkward anymore…or at least if you are, you’ve accepted it . You are happy being you. You’re hormones are under control- unless your pregos or dealing with menopause- your voice has been established and you have accomplishments that surpass simply a kindergarten diploma.
- You know so much more: You have learned from your mistakes. You recognize life isn’t perfect and you have learned to deal with ups and downs. You have probably lost someone you loved and learned to grieve and overcome it. You are used to a little bit of pain and that has made you so much stronger.
- You get to drink wine and Cinco de Mayo Margaritas: ENOUGH SAID!
- You can make the conscious ability to change: Your outlook on life, your appearance, your career, YOUR WORLD. You are an adult who has lived and because of that, you realize that the world can be exactly what you want it to be. My friends, though, I caution you, this is only true if you sincerely believe it.
- You don’t have a curfew but are still in bed by 11 o’clock.
- You have your whole life ahead of you: To become successful, to get married, to make your marriage work, to have second chances, to have kids, to watch your kids grow, to eventually have grandkids, to sky dive, to travel…TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO.
Friends, I know we get boggled down at times by adulthood, but stop and look at the beauty it brings. We owe it to our parents who gave us this life and we owe it to those who don’t get to make it there.
Nicki G. The Blissful Wife
In memory of Sofia Blanco and Michael Sanchez-Agramonte two young souls that made it to Heaven sooner than they should have.