Cinco de Mayo always makes me laugh. It gives everyone an excuse, Mexican or not, to have a little Mexican Celebration and party it up a little.
When I was younger and single, it gave my girlfriends and me an excuse to go out and celebrate this non-discriminatory holiday to the fullest. Now that I am a blissful wife, we have slightly different plans- a Mexican dinner party.
Regardless of your plans, I am going to share two recipes that can be year-round favorites and certainly helpful for today.
- 4 Haas Avocadoes
- 1 cup of minced red onion
- 2 minced garlic clove
- 1 minced jalapeno (for a spicier taste add more)
- 3/4 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch of chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime juice (If you have a handy lime squeezer, squeeze two small limes)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Mash the avocadoes- The chunkier the better
- Combine onion, garlic, jalapeno, tomato, and cilantro
- Stir well, then add lime juice-stir and taste as you go to make sure you don’t over lime
- Add salt and pepper
And voilá….Blissfully enjoy!
Delicious Frozen Margaritas:
Why re-invent the wheel when All Recipes has hit the nail on the head when it comes to this tasty frozen treat. My only suggestion, line the glass with coarse sugar for a sweeter taste.
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate
- 6 fluid ounces tequila
- 2 fluid ounces triple sec
- Fill blender with crushed ice
- Pour in limeade concentrate, tequila and triple sec.
- Blend until smooth.
- Line the rim of the glass with a little lime juice and tip the glass onto plate with sugar to add the sweet taste
- Pour into glasses and Enjoy!
So Mexican or not, enjoy this Cinco de Mayo and be sure to gift your taste buds with these great recipes!
Nicki G. The Blissful Wife